Follow this link.
http://www.newsok.com/house-bypasses-governors-veto-to-claim-oklahomas-sovereignty/article/3366762
Okay...so apparently Oklahoma is actually doing what a recent poll of Texas Republicans are just in favor of....secession from the Union!
For the record, the Forum supports this 100% if only in that it will lower the number of metally retarded people executed in this country. But the larger point is this...
For the past eight years the Democrats were literally closed out of important policy decisions simply because the Republicans had the political juice to do it. Now it seems that as the tables have turned (and incidently, the Democrats have not responded in kind) the right wing of this country just wants to take thier ball and go home. While 60 percent of this country self identifies as "conservative" the Republican/Right Wing agenda simply does not resonate with the body politik like it did during the faux patriotic, post 9-11 days. And so, with little to say and even less to actually bring to the table the Republicans have pouted and stageed "tea parties" against taxes (which even if every Obama tax increase took effect would still keep the tax rate on the richest 2% an astounding 10% lower than the tax rate under Republican Icon Reagan.) and now are simply advocating ABANDONING the US.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My first reaction is to say "Let them leave! We'll be better off without them!" My second is just anger. In the past 8 years there were definitely times that I considered moving to Canada... but I didn't! I struggled through it as all Democrats did. So why can't conservatives do the same? I'd tend to agree that they are bad sports. They are spoiled children who have gotten their way for eight years and cannot tolerate their world any other way. Somehow they need to grow up and understand that people have different ideas, opinions and experiences in life and we have to find a way to get along. Developmentally, conservatives are stuck in eary chidhood. Maybe Obama should have a developmental psychologist as an advisor... help him raise the country up into maturity.
ReplyDeleteI've heard about these things from Federalist Society friends of mine. It's about federalism, and making a symbolic statement about the importance of states' rights against federal regulation. Same old story. I doon't really think the whole "This is about conservative principles" argument holds water with me, because Bush trashed a lot of their conservative beliefs on spending for eight years and they didn't object once. They're not upset about a liberal swing; they're upset about Democrats being in office - and they're showing an obnoxious lack of class about it!
ReplyDeleteThey aren't leaving or seceding...they're rejecting federal funds. Democrats made peaceful protests during the Bush era. "Conservatives" can do the same during the Golden Age of Obama. I really do not understand why you are coming down on Oklahoma so violently. They made a complaint about government spending by using a peaceful protest. This is within their rights. As far as I know there is very little oversight over the vast amount of funds the Federal Government is distributing, why not seek to focus attention on this? Even if there is good oversight (which there may be) it does not hurt to be reminded. This whole "blog" seems to be an emotional back lash against a "minority" that dares to resist a "majority." I hope it won't always be such a one sided discussion.
ReplyDeleteClint, ALl I can say is that I can't believe you have friends in the Federalist Society...haha.
ReplyDeleteJordan, I wasn't expressing any violence toward Oklahoma (i am a pacifist) just bewilderment. As far as the whole thing boiliing down to a states' rights issue I certainly see that point and ultimately have no issue with it. But, that being said the bill only included provisions to return the federal money, the statement being made in th OK legislature is that they no longer wish to be included in this nation. Secession is serious! I know its been about 140 years since we fought the most bloody war in our history but we can't forget that Union comes first. That is why the founders rejected the Articles of Confederation in favor of a Constitution. I happen to live in a state (south carolina) with an apparent predisposition for secession. Our governor, Mark Sanford also initially rejected the federal money an he did so without any symbolic gestures or protest, he just said "thanks, but no thanks." As far as this blog being a backlash against a minority...I know it is hard for right leaning folks to deal with this but YOU ARE NOT A MINORITY. As I said 60 percent(a healthy MAJORITY) of Americans consider themsselves conservative. Not to mention that as a nation we skew center right anyway. Don't be fooled by ad hominem attacks on Obama, calling him a Socialist, he isn't. I know this because I am one and I realize that I am FAR more liberal than most Democrats.
First I'd like to say that I am a conservative and I did object to Bush's spending, as well as Bush's not securing the US/Mexico border, and the McCain position on illegal immigration.
ReplyDeleteBut I'd like to comment about the tea parties.
The one I went to wasn't just about taxes, although that was one of the main issues, it was more about the lack of restraint of government spending by both parties, and also the ever growing trend of the "Representatives" not representing their constituents, but wanting to push through their own agendas. This anger was coming from both parties, and focused on both Republicans and Democrats. There seems to be very little difference between DC Republicans and DC Democrats.
Also, some state governors were upset (rightly so) about not having the option to turn down the stimulus money. Probably because of the strings that would come with it.
Thanks to the right-leaning folks who have commented here. I appreciate the perspective.
ReplyDelete