Friday, May 8, 2009

Nature/Evironmental Issues

An open discussion on environmental issues...

7 comments:

  1. This topic deals with thoughts and ideas about the natural world and the human relationship to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very interesting. Being in Afghanistan at the moment, one of the biggest joys is to look through barbed wire laying on the ground, and see a beautiful flower spring up between the blades. Funny how nature doesnt know, doesnt care what horrors are taking place around it. Nature knows no war, nature doesnt know the pain of losing a loved one, or watching those around them fall, it keeps going without a care in the world, wouldnt it be nice to have that ability to block out everything around us, and as ugly as things are in this world, to be a beacon of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony, I am glad you are able to read this again without the aid of an interpreter...haha
    It really is amazing the dichotomies that exist in the world. Most people, I assume, see Afghanistan on the nightly news and the furthest thought from thier minds would be beauty. nice. So i ask this question...what is it about our humaness that makes us believe that nature and us are seprate? Why do we as a race attribute qualities to nature that we believe that we are incapable of posessing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that we are so removed from our connection to the natural world. I think that modern convenience has helped us forget that we are evolved from the world we live in. Since we have all of these luxuries (like forums), we forget how integral the natural world is to us. In doing so, we lose sight of who we are.

    There is no separation of humanity from nature. And that is troubling to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, exactly! Have you read Ishmael?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I haven't, I'll google it.

    You might like Wendell Barry, though. I enjoy him quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were clearly meant to coexist with nature, no matter what view you come from, creation or evolution. I think it's inborn in us. Everytime I visit my parent's home and walk out on their property, I'm reminded of how therapeutic nature is to the mind and soul. I only watch one t.v. show a week, but there's always another technology out there that tries to keep my attention and it's sad.
    I've also been thinking about how much we depend on nature for gardens and animals for food, for survival. It's interesting that the reason people in the Depression killed themselves because they couldn't provide for their families --what will happen to the kids who don't know how to keep a budget, let alone kids who have been raised inside their homes infront of the tv and computer screens. How will they ever survive out there when the worst of things happens!?

    ReplyDelete